Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Got Hair?

Black women with expensive synthetic hair on their heads just rub me up the wrong way. I mean, who are they trying to look like? I didn't even know that white women hade extensions put in until I watched a trashy reality show out of sheer boredom, a fact which threw me for a loop just as much as news of glue on nails did when I was kid...

It doesn't make any sense to me why one would spend hundreds if not thousands of rands in an effort to look more or less ecaxtly like a member of Barbie's posse. What's wrong with the hair you were born with?

I'm not going to get into the complexes a lot of people are throwing around as laymen pseudo-diagnoses of weave wearers mental states, but plastering another human being's hair (or horses tail) on top of your head because you think it makes you look prettier definitely point to some sort of underlying insecurity.

Bald, Afro, Dreadlocks, short brush cut, there's so much that our black women could do with their god-given crowns of hair that would cost far less in time and money, and would probably make them more endearing to men of a particular turn of mind (myself included), but they stubbornly persist in going after the latest brand of Brazilian or Indian weave to get that 'all natural' look. What's the basis?
 
And it could just be me and my limited life experience talking here, but the more a woman spends on what's on her head, the less she's probably invested on what's inside her head.

In fact, I can't think of a single heroine of the past century who had any kind of tinkering done with her hair.

All I'm saying is, if your hair costs more per month than you spend something constructive like, oh say, books (Mills & Boon rubbish doesn't count), then maybe you need to rethink your priorities.

Wanna feel like a 'natural woman'? Ditch the fake hair, fake nails, fake eyelashes etc. and a maybe a real brother will see you for the African queen you are. 


No comments: